We explore the non-scalable size regime of matter with a variety of projects that include local probes and integrating techniques and gasphase as well as surface supported experiments:
- Reactivity, Enantioselectivity and Electronic Properties of cluster-assembled Catalysts
Exploitation of the unique electronic and structural properties as well as the chirality of small, supported metal and bimetal clusters for triggering selective and enantioselective reactions.
- Enantioselective Spectroscopy and Photochemistry in the Gasphase
Exploration of the chirality and electronic structure of small metal and bimetal clusters in the gasphase by modern laser spectroscopic methods.
- Kinetic and mechanistic reaction studies of metal clusters under multi-collision conditions
We store size-selected clusters in an ion trap, subject them to to reactive gases, characterize product intensities and obtain entire reaction kinetic networks.
- Highly sensitive Optical Spectroscopy of supported chiral Molecules and Clusters
Investigation of the optical response of small supported clusters and chiral cluster complexes surfaces by innovative optical spectroscopies.
- Surface Photocatalysis and Chemoselectivity in Heterogeneous Catalysis
Understanding the mechanisms of photochemical processes that are involved on cluster-assembled materials and sandwich structures.
- Cluster Structure and Dynamics by Scanning Probe Microscopy (VTSPM)
We study the dynamic behaviour of small supported clusters under reaction conditions by Scanning Probe Microscopy. Spill-over of reaction intermediates and diffusion processes can be observed directly, with unprecedented time resolution, using our recently developed FastSTM module.
- Clusters at the Solid-Liquid Interface (ECSTM)
We prepare novel, size-controlled nanocluster structures and investigate their stability, redox states and reactivity by a combination of local and integral techniques.
- Highly sensitive in-situ Analysis of Gasphase Molecules by Laser Mass Spectroscopy
Development of analytical methods for the selection and fast detection of chemical compounds with concentrations down to the ppb-range.
- Ligand protected Clusters
Synthesis of clusters by wet-chemical methods; characterization and study of catalytic properties by simultaneous control of the ligand shell and the cluster size.